Thursday, January 26, 2012

that which sustains us

Maybe you have figured this out by now: I love food. Not just eating it, but cooking it as well. I just had one of those days where nothing really went quite wrong but I was feeling overwhelmed BY THE WEIGH OF THE WORLD (Throws head back and sighs for dramatic measure.) So I went for a walk and let my mind wander. Well, it didn't take too long to start thinking about the meals I cooked this week: vegetarian fajitas, curried lentil soup, roasted chicken with potatoes, breakfast burrito. Not too bad of a week in the kitchen. Tonight I am thinking I might make shrimp tacos. I've never been much of a baker, even though I try sometimes, but cooking-- Chopping, sauteeing, braising, roasting, caramelizing, all of those real cooking savory food words-- I LOVE. I always think about Julie and Julia when I've had a rough day. Julie Powell makes a comment to her husband:

"Chocolate cream pie! You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure and when I say nothing, I mean nothing. You can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. That's such a comfort."


Julie, I hear ya. Maybe it's roasting and blending up a butternut squash soup for me, but I find such comfort in the hum of the kitchen, and the quiet success of a delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment