Monday, November 21, 2011

thanksgiving come early

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. This year I'll be driving up to DC from the land of sweet tea for a few days and then continuing north to Haddonfield, NJ to visit with my mom's side of the family. For me, it's the way Thanksgiving should be. We drink gin and tonics, graze all day, laugh a lot, sit in front of a fire place, and watch football. Its magical. 

I get reflective around Thanksgiving. So much has happened since last year when I was in the middle of grad school applications, working full time, and spending the holiday with my then boyfriend while plotting what was to come. The future was a big question mark. Now that I can see the view from this side, I can say with confidence that it is beautiful. People say that everything always works out. Sometimes you just have to trust the process and let it happen. I wasn't disappointed. Life is never perfect, but when I can look around and see that it is my own, that is something to be thankful for. 

One last thing. This year I am particularly thankful for friends. Old home crew friends who know me better than myself, college roommates that I shared closets and secrets with, DC friends I made in the last few years that I count among my closest confidants, and the new group of girls I've come to know here in North Carolina and have me laughing every day. Life wouldn't be nearly as sweet without them. So thank you, to those who may be reading this, for being part of my life. I couldn't do it without you! 

Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday. See you next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment