Wednesday, December 14, 2011

to be humans or gods

Today I was talking with a gentleman. Somehow the topic landed on politicians and infidelity and what the reasons are behind so many scandals of men in power. This lead to a discussion of marriage. I tend to be a bit of a marriage cynic. I have no reason to be. My parents have a wonderful relationship, my friends that have gotten married have chosen great partners. I just look at the bigger picture and see everything from the Kardashian divorce to Anthony Weiner creeping on women when his wife is pregnant and it just scares me. The risk of failure is great and the stakes are so high. Eeek. 

But as we were talking he noted that people look at divorce and infidelity scandals and think we should just drop the bar. Just let these famous people get on with their professional lives and ignore the personal. And then he said something that stopped me in my tracks: Just because humans continue to fall short of the ideal, it doesn't mean we should abandon the ideal. We are human afterall, but shouldn't we have something to aim for? 

Wow. That's been rolling around my head today. And for the first time in a while, it made me feel like maybe my hope of marriage and partnership wasn't lost. I like goals. I like having something to shoot for.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting indeed! I agree that although there is plenty of evidence in pop culture and life experience that shows how marriages can crumble, at the end of the day, it is always a matter of the heart, not the head. I think that it is always, to a certain degree, a leap of faith. You can never know what life may hold but you just have to have that hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, just keep a glimmer of hope alive :)

    ReplyDelete