I love this soup so much I want to kiss it :)
Adapted from Serious Eats' Nordstrom Tomato Basil Soup
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, crushed
- 3 28-ounce cans whole peeled Roma tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 pint heavy cream (sometimes I use less, just add it, taste, add more.)
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add carrots and onion and cook until beginning to soften, 10 minutes, then add basil and garlic and cook until vegetables are completely soft, about 5 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes, or up to 45 minutes.
- After allowing soup to cool somewhat, purée in a blender or food processor until smooth, doing so in batches if necessary. (I just stick an immersion blender into the pot and it does the job too with less mess.)
- Stir in cream little by little over over low heat, until desired texture is reached and soup is just heated through. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper and serve warm. (Sometimes I add garlic powder as well to round out the flavors.)
This is great served with garlic bread.