Thursday, September 8, 2011

winning hearts and minds

I've always loved to read, however, it is pretty rare that a book really catches me. Last year I was introduced to the wonderful Molly Wizenberg. If you haven't heard of Molly, allow me the honor of introducing her to you. She started off writing the food blog Orangette a few years ago, which eventually became a full-blown book: A Homemade Life. Her book is one of those special ones that captivates you and makes you feel like you are now best friends with the author. Molly (we are obviously on a first name basis) shares her life through food memories and passes along those recipes as well. It's glorious and glutenous. Read it. You won't be sorry. 

The last recipe in her book is one of her most famous. Its called the "Winning Hearts and Minds Cake."  This is not the most beautiful cake, but I would gander to say it is one of the most delicious. We are talking about 1 and 3/4 sticks of butter, half a pound of chocolate...this list goes on. The first time I made it was for my dad's birthday and the whole family gave it rave reviews. 


Tonight I am having a boy over for dinner. I made the cake last night and its sitting on a beautiful cake stand just waiting for the right moment. Fingers crossed that it lives up to its name.

 

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow "friend" of Molly's and someone who has made this cake many times (including a couple of times for myself alone, who are we kidding?) this makes me so happy! I know that it is sure to do the trick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing me to her! I feel like now she is a lifelong friend. Can't wait to make more of her recipes :)

    ReplyDelete